Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A day of discovery, May 5, 2015

Today we were all split up to discover different aspect of health and social care in and around the community of San Jose de Ocoa.  Students went to do vaccinations, community visits, woman's shelters, community greenhouses, home visits, emergency departments, nursing home.....etcetera.  That's a lot of stuff!  To accomplish all of that, students were split up into small groups of two or three to discover these aspects of social care.

As I am not a health student, I chose to go on a trip where I could use whatever skills I have....needless to say, that was not the vaccination clinic! I went to a community soup kitchen with two other non-health students where we ended up serving a hearty meal to the deserving.  We were surprised at the wide variety of people who came to the kitchen, the number of families and even young children.  We were also surprised at the portion of food that was given out.  It included rice, black beans and macaroni with mystery meat:


Most every plate was heaped to the max and the juices were overflowing! I cannot say how it tasted as we did not eat any, but wow!, it sure smelled good, and I was primed for my own lunch!

On another note, one of my colleagues shared a really nice story with me: she was given a pin of an angel to wear by one of her patients - she is a palliative care nurse, and she told her patient she would wear it while on this trip.  I took a photo of her with the pin so she could share the blog with her patient to show that she did and was thinking of her.

 
                                                                             And a close-up

A touching story of human caring......

I also went on exploration adventure into the mountains to inspect the water delivery and filtration systems of the communities.......more on that on another blog......

Jh

No comments:

Post a Comment