Monday, May 4, 2015

First clinic - First shower

Yesterday was our first open clinic. We were all so excited and nervous at the Same time, going over things that we already knew how to do. We woke up in the morning not knowing what to expect, our ride up into the mountains was in the back of a truck, going up roads that shouldn't even be called paths for hiking haha. The day was hot and we were never short of work getting to meet so many interesting Dominican people of all ages. We did our best to provide help to everyone but unfortunately before we knew it the day was over and we were heading back to the main village.
Keeping in mind that it was a long, hot, sweaty day all we wanted was a little bit of water over our heads...... However when we got back into town our head nurse said guys "they've shut off the water and it won't be on tonight either". As we walked back to are compound I climbed the stairs to my room dropped my bag and stared at that little shower thinking in my head " I'm going to try to turn that shower on at least a few drops on my head would feel nice!" So I walk over turn on the shower and it WORKS, I can honestly say that I was undressed in less than 15 seconds I jumped into the shower with my shirt and glasses still on my face Hahaha. And that's when my trip also smacked me in the face, I have never thought to appreciate a shower so much in my life haha, it's when I realized that these people here in the Dominican have to do this every single day it was incredible how they got by with so little but they we very content.
I think that all the new students down here got to really experience something incredible on the first day and we couldn't of made it here without the support back home. Thanks again for everything, will be sure to keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment