Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Santo Domingo

Today we are waking up in Santo Domingo, having been dropped off at our hotel by the gang from Ontario before they made their way to the airport.

We spent the day recovering, resting and relaxing.....and of course, buying gifts for family and friends back home.  Here are a few pics that give you a sense of the old part of the city where we are located.

 

 

Today is our last day of our trip and we will all have the morning free.  This afternoon we head up to the "Pink House", an orphanage for girls who have HIV/AIDS. We will bring gifts and messages of support and see the way the place is organized.  I will write a post about that experience later.

Our team is relaxed and peaceful. There are a lot of laughs and jokes as we make fun of one another and as we debrief our experiences of the trip to Ocoa, even when Tamara launched her glass of wine at me over dinner yesterday! I am so pleased with each and every student who fully engaged in this special opportunity and who gave of themselves, their skills and personalities. Although I am not a health care teacher, I have felt included in the entire experience and have had no regrets while I have been here.  

I have to admit I was quite conflicted in the weeks and days leading up to our departure from Montreal, partly due to sense of being overwhelmed by the business of life (lots going on in my personal life), and I have to admit, a sense that the students as a team were not ready.....Well, when you are wrong, you have to admit it, so here it is Sandra, Eric, Daphne, Lisa, Beatha and Stephanie:  

You pulled the whole thing together, congratulations!  You have shown what you are really made of. You were emotionally, professionally, spiritually and SOCIALLY ready for the trip.  You conducted yourselves in a mature, competent, humerous manner.  You chose to dedicate yourselves to the business at hand with enthusiasm and grace.  You showed that you have learned the skills necessary for this trip and were able to use them as needed.  You have been great team members.  You included me in your time here, and taught me a lot about your profession, you shared of yourselves and proved yourselves to me. 

WARNING: Do not let these accolades go to your head.....keep your eyes on the prize and do not let the feeling of having been successful tempt you to be less dedicated to your education.  Still lots of work to do.  I will be watching you all and cheering you on......and giving you a hard time when needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment