Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bird-Nerd Alert, May 12

Those of you who know me, know that I am a bit of a bird nerd; actually those of you who really know me, know that I am A LOT of a bird nerd! I knew that on this trip, I would not be able to satisfy my nerdiness because I knew that we would be occupied most of each and every day and there would be little time left over for that activity.



The Dominican Republic is actually not a great bird watching destination, especially at this time of the year.  This is because:

1) the population pressures are pretty hard on the natural environment, and the indigenous bird population is under pressure from agricultural practices and other human endeavours like hunting and habitat destruction; and,

2) a great deal of the resident birds have gone north to their breeding grounds at this time of the year.  In fact, Canada is the place you want to be in May if you like to watch birds. Nonetheless, I brought my binoculars with me "au cas où" ("in case of", in French - pronounced "oka-zoo").  

(Selfie alert!!!)



I fortunately was able observe in passing a number of species and I was also lucky to discover that there were a lot of birds in a little forested area behind our compound in Ocoa.  I was also pleased to discover another person in our group who was interested in hanging out the window with me - thanks, Susan!!!! 

For those of you interested (read: nerdy, like me) here is a list of what we saw:

Antillean Mango 
Hispanolan Emerald
Hispanolan Woodpecker
Antillean Piculet 
Loggerhead Kingbird
Hispanolan Pewee
White-Necked Crow
Starling
House sparrow
Cave Swallow
Palmchat 
Northern Mockingbird
Rufous-throated Solitaire
Red-legged Thrush
Bananaquit
Black-crowned Palm-tanager
Yellow-faced Grassquit
Greater Antillean Bullfinch
White-collared Swift
Antillean Palm Swift
Black Swift
Antillean Nighthawk
Hispaniolan Lizard-cuckoo
Hispaniolan Parakeet
Hispaniolan Parrot
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-dove
White-winged Dove
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
American Kestrel
Cattle Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
Magnificent Frigatebird
Brown Pelican
And a lot of "sp" meaning I saw a bird but, whatever....



Not too bad for occasional birding!


No comments:

Post a Comment